New and better therapies through research
The Swiss Clinical Trial Organisation (SCTO) is the central cooperation platform for patient-oriented clinical research in Switzerland. Its primary objective is to attractively and competitively position Swiss clinical research in the international competition with respect to innovation and quality.
The SCTO intends to achieve this mandate by:
- Promoting a high-quality and nationally harmonised study culture – including the continuing education necessary for this purpose
- Supporting the formation of national networks
- Facilitating the integration of national clinical research into international networks
- Promoting the transfer of knowledge between basic research and therapeutic applications
- Building bridges between academia, industry and public authorities, as well as trade organisations and professional associations
- Advocating favourable conditions in the field of clinical research in general
There are six hospitals in Switzerland with centres for clinical research. These Clinical Trial Units (CTUs) are located at the university hospitals in Basel, Bern, Geneva, Lausanne and Zurich and at the cantonal hospital in St. Gallen. The SCTO coordinates and enhances the cooperation between these centres for clinical research.