New and better therapies, thanks to research
The Swiss Clinical Trial Organisation (SCTO) is the central cooperation platform for patient-oriented clinical research in Switzerland. We are an independent organisation, initially funded in 2009 as a joint initiative of the Swiss National Science Foundation and the Swiss Academy of Medical Sciences.
Being a research infrastructure of national importance, the SCTO has since 2017 been co-funded by the State Secretariat of Education, Research and Innovation and the Swiss National Science Foundation.
The SCTO’s primary objective is to catalyse valuable, innovative, and visible clinical research in Switzerland so as to deliver better therapies to society.
We intend to achieve this mandate by:
- Promoting a culture in which all studies are of high quality and are nationally harmonised – including the continuing education necessary to achieve this
- Supporting the formation of national networks
- Facilitating the integration of national clinical research with international networks
- Promoting the transfer of knowledge from basic research to therapeutic applications
- Committing to a greater involvement and participation of patients
- Building bridges between the public, academia, industry, and authorities
- Advocating favourable conditions in the field of clinical research in general
The SCTO is committed to high-quality and independent information and adheres to the overall principles of making clinical trial data transparent. From a national perspective, we shed light on prevailing issues and challenges in clinical research and we liaise among the various stakeholders. Mutual trust, reciprocity, and transparency lay the foundation for this dialogue among all the parties involved.
For further information about our services, see our latest annual report and our SCTO Fact Sheet.